Niskayuna High School held its 30th Annual Memorial Day Ceremony on Thursday, May 25.
Administrators, graduates from the Class of 1964 and members of the former VFW Lt. Vernon F. Hovey III Post in Niskayuna honored the memory of three Niskayuna High School graduates killed in action during the Vietnam War. The three men commemorated in the wreath-laying ceremony are:
- Lt. Robert S. Cragin Jr., Class of 1962;
- Lt. Vernon F. Hovey III, Class of 1964; and
- Pfc. Richard W. Starkey, Class of 1965.
Following the wreath-laying, High School Principal John Rickert recognized the school’s 48 deceased alumni veterans.
Administrators, faculty, and staff members who served in the military recognized students from the Class of 2023 who will be entering a branch of the military upon graduation.
- Kaylin M. Schneider, Appointment to the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis
- Ollie Atwater, Enlistment for duty into the United States Navy
- David Haggard, Enlistment for duty into the United States Navy
- Taylor Shephard, Enlistment for duty into the United States Marines
The Bel Canto Voices performed “For the Fallen” accompanied by Eric S. Hughes on saxophone, and the Concert Band performed “U.S. Armed Forces Salute” under the direction of Mr. Phil Pandori. Ninth grader Carlin Tysz closed the ceremony by performing “Taps.”
You must be logged in to post a comment.