Why is the district considering different school configuration options? As we plan a capital project, we want be sure that we are using educational space and taxpayer resources in the way that is most effective, sustainable and beneficial for students.
We invite you to help weigh the choices before us at two school configuration forums scheduled for January:
- Wednesday, Jan. 22, 6:30 p.m., Niskayuna High School Little Theater
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 10:30 a.m., Niskayuna High School Little Theater
The three school configuration options under consideration are:
- The current configuration of K-5 elementary schools and two, grade 6-8 middle schools;
- A grade 5-6 school and a grade 7-8 school serving students districtwide; and
- A single district middle school
The meetings will include information about the options gathered by the Instructional Program Subcommittee of the Capital Project Community Advisory Committee. This will be followed by small-group discussions, similar to the format of the capital project community forums this past summer. The information covered and discussion questions at each forum will be the same.
A decision about school configuration is a key part of a broader capital project planning process. The district’s tentative date for voter consideration of a significant capital project is Dec. 15, 2020. The capital project will also include construction to meet growing enrollment, address basic infrastructure needs, and reflect the district’s program vision – especially the need for more open, flexible spaces that promote hands-on learning.
We hope you can join us at the forums to be part of this important conversation!