The Niskayuna Central School District has established protocols for deciding whether to close or delay school or cancel activities due to snow or other inclement weather. The district uses several information channels to communicate this information with parents and community members.
Information sources for school closings, delays, and early dismissals
If there are any changes in school operation hours, the district uses several information vehicles to inform parents and community members, as outlined below. School is open on its usual schedule unless otherwise announced.
- School Messenger e-mail and text alerts (Parents are automatically connected; Community member sign-up information.
- Our website; weather notices are posted right on the homepage
- Local media stations and websites ( Channel 6, Capital News 9, Channel 10, Channel 13, Fox 23, WFLY (92.3 FM), WGNA (107.7 FM), WGY (810 AM), WYJB (B95.5), WRVE (99.5 FM), Daily Gazette, Times Union
- The district’s Twitter feed (@NiskayunaCSD)
It is best to rely on more than one information source, particularly in situations where the weather may cause power outages.
District Protocols for Closing and Delaying School or Cancelling Activities
Closing School for the Entire Day
If it appears that students cannot be transported safely to school or home at the end of the day, Niskayuna schools will not open. The district will make every attempt to announce snow days or delays by 5:30 a.m.
Delayed Start of the School Day
When conditions warrant, we may utilize a two-hour delay to the start of the school day. When there is a two-hour delay, the bus will arrive 2 hours later than the usual pickup time. When a two-hour delay is called, the district retains the option to close school for the full day. This decision will be made by 7 a.m., and communicated promptly. The district’s philosophy is to avoid one-hour delays.
Afterschool and Evening Activities
If students cannot be transported to and from afternoon and/or evening activities safely, they will be canceled. Decision about afterschool activities will be made by 12:30 p.m. and evening activities by 2 p.m.
Early Dismissal During Inclement Weather
The district’s philosophy is to avoid early dismissal. We do not want parents rushing home on less than ideal roadways, and we believe that keeping children at school is often the best way to keep them safe during bad weather. However, in the event that this is necessary, notification will be made as early in the day as possible.
Wind Chills and Cold Temperatures
Severe climate conditions where temperatures and wind chill dip into certain extreme ranges can cause concerns for the safety of children. When wind chills approaching -25 degrees are predicted, the district may be placed on a cold weather alert. When persistent wind chills of -25 degrees or below are predicted, we are likely to delay or close school, consistent with guidance from the New York Statewide School Health Services Center.
Additional information about cancellations
- As a general rule, when school is closed for the day or there is an early dismissal, all afterschool and athletic activities and evening events, including Continuing Education classes, are cancelled and the pool at Niskayuna High School is closed, unless it is otherwise announced.
- There may be more specific pool schedule changes posted on the pool web page.
- Visit the Athletic Department web page to learn about how to be notified when the athletics schedule changes.
- Review the CSE/CPSE/504 meeting schedules when school is delayed or canceled