Niskayuna Programs for your Preschooler
Below is a list of programs available to your child from birth to age 5. For more information about any of these, contact your neighborhood elementary school.
Birth to Age 5:
Register your child at birth or when you move into the district. If you have concerns about your child’s development, first speak with your pediatrician. If you still have questions or concerns, call Niskayuna’s Committee on Preschool Special Education, at (518) 382-2525, ext. 50738.
The 1,000-Book Kid Program is available to all district preschoolers — but please note, this program is geared toward 4-year-olds. Through this free program, parents borrow a bag filled with 10 fun, age-appropriate books to read to their preschoolers. When families are finished with the books, they return them to the school and can borrow another bag of books. Bags can be picked up or dropped off before, during or after school. For more information, call the coordinator of the program in your student’s future elementary school.
- January: Kindergarten registration. Please note, students must be 5-years-old on or before Dec. 1 of the year they enter kindergarten.
- May: Meeting with kindergarten teacher, school psychologist and principal.
- May/June: Kindergarten screening and visitations to the schools.
- August: Kindergarten bus ride — students and parents/guardians learn about bus safety and take a practice bus ride during this program.
- September: Additional kindergarten visitations.