Bus Driver Positions General Information
Generally, the path to becoming a Bus Driver in the Niskayuna Central School District is to start as a Substitute Bus Driver. All Bus Drivers (including substitutes) must meet certain requirements imposed by both the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV) and the New York State Education Department. Individuals must possess a NYDMV Commercial License (Class B) license. Individuals who do not have a Class B license, may be eligible for Bus Driver training free of charge. During the training process, individuals earn minimum wage. After successful completion of the training, individuals will be eligible to be employed on a substitute basis, on an as needed basis. While completion of training is not a guarantee of employment, there typically is a need for substitute drivers. After working successfully as a substitute, individuals may be eligible to bid on a route in accordance with the employee contract.
All applicants for a Bus Driver position in the Niskayuna Central School District must undergo a fingerprint supported criminal history background check before working for the school district as a Bus Driver (even as a substitute). This background check usually takes a few days, but can take longer if there is an issue that requires further review by NYDMV. The Office of Human Resources makes the arrangements for the fingerprinting process. Any questions about the process should be directed to the Office of Human Resources.
- New York State Driver’s License – All individuals must possess a New York State Driver’s license prior to any training provided by the District.
- NYSDMV Commercial License (Class B) Learner Permit – All individuals must possess a NYSDMV Commercial Driver Learner Permit prior to any on-the-road training provided by the District. This is issued by the NYSDMV after successful completion of a written exam. Further information about the exam may be obtained here: https://dmv.ny.gov/get-cdl. The cost is $10 and is paid by the applicant.
- New York State Department of Transportation Physical Examination – The District schedules and pays for the physical examination.
- Drug Test – The District schedules and pays for the drug test.
- 30 hour – New York State Education Course – This 30 hour course is offered free of charge by the Niskayuna Central School District.
- 10 hour – Pre-Service Course – This 30 hour course is offered free of charge by the Niskayuna Central School District.
- Road Test – The District assists in scheduling the road test with NYSDMV. The cost is $40 and is paid by the applicant.
For further information on how to become a Bus Driver, please contact:
- Niskayuna Central School District Department of Transportation: (518) 370-0160
- Niskayuna Central School District Office of Human Resources: (518) 377-4666, ext. 50740