Date of Posting:
Jan. 25, 2019
Director of Special Education
July 1, 2019
Secondary Special Education (11-month position)
- Minimum of five years of teaching/related field and administrative experience.
- Certification as a New York State School District Administrator.
- Expertise in strategic planning, decision-making and team facilitation.
- Knowledge of Part 100, 200, 201 Regulations and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Conducts in accordance with Education Law, NYS Commissioner’s Regulations, and School District policy, the referral, evaluation, parent notification, individualized education program (IEP) development, placement, and annual and triennial review process.
- Chairs the Committee on Special Education (CSE) and/or the Committee on Pre-School Special Education (CPSE) with appropriate guidelines including the maintenance of agents and formal minutes.
- Oversees and implements all components of Individual Education Plans (IEP’s).
- In conjunction with the PPS Director, monitors all budgetary matters related to special education costs at the local, BOCES, State and Federal level.
- Interprets and supports state, county and federal regulations.
- Collaborates with principals, teachers, supervisors, and other relevant agencies.
- Committed to creating a culture of equity and inclusion for all students.
- Establishes regular communication links with building Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Teams, building administrators, county CSE chairs, consortium chairs, pre-school agencies, county agencies, BOCES, special education teachers, and related service providers.
- Completes reports associated with Special Education.
- Conducts meetings of the secondary special education faculty and staff.
- Files, in a timely fashion, reports relating to the System to Track and Account for Children (STAC).
- Confers with the principals in the coordination of state testing programs for CSE students.
- Supervises and evaluates Teaching Assistants in conjunction with principals.
- Confers with the principals in the review of testing needs, test score analysis and student performance.
- Works with PPS Director to report test data to the state as needed.
- Establishes linkages with various offices and agencies beyond the school that may provide specialized help to student and parents.
- Provides continual professional development for PPS staff.
- Provides coaching and professional development on regulations and instructional practices.
- Performs other duties and tasks as directed by the Superintendent.
Commensurate with education and experience
Online application preferred: www.olasjobs.org/capital
For additional information about the application and selection process: View the brochure for this opening
Office of Human Resources
Niskayuna Central School District
1239 Van Antwerp Rd.
Niskayuna, NY 12309
(518) 377-4666, ext. 50740
February 28, 2019
Selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.