As we await more guidance about the 2021-22 school year, one piece of information that we do have relates to our high school start and end times. We are sharing this information today as we know it is critical for your planning.
We have decided to shift the high school start and end times to later in the day, with a start at 8:40 a.m. and dismissal at 3:15 p.m. Research shows that a later high school start time is better for students at this age level and work by stakeholders in our own community over the last several years focused on this change as well.
Based on our experience last year and additional work with our Transportation Department, we have determined that we can make this change and the times at the other grade levels can remain the same.
Here is some additional information about our new high school start time:
- Doors will open at 8:15 a.m. for students.
- Students may arrive earlier than 8:15 if they will be supervised/working with a staff member. Buses will arrive around 8:25 a.m.
- Breakfast will be available prior to the start of the day.
- This schedule will accommodate transportation to and from BOCES career and technical education (CTE) programs. Students who attend a.m. CTE programs will be picked up at home in the morning.
- We understand that shifting the school day in this manner may impact music and athletics in some ways. We will work through those issues and communicate information to students and families as needed.
The complete bell schedule for these start and end times is available at https://www.niskayunaschools.org/niskayuna-high-school/nhs-bell-times-beginning-2021-22/. We will have a 10-minute homeroom period (advisement), 72-minute blocks and 5 minutes passing time.
We received positive feedback about the later start time last school year and believe that this approach will benefit our students. We will continue to keep you informed as the 2021-22 school year approaches and appreciate your continued partnership and support.