Niskayuna High School students are participating in “Start with Hello Week” from January 7-11.
Start with Hello (SWH) is a program associated with the Sandy Hook Promise Program. The program enables students to make a difference with their peers in a simple, fun, and impactful way. It encourages them to take small but powerful actions to promote connectedness and inclusion, and to identify and help others who are showing signs of social isolation.
According to The 2018 Prevention Needs Assessment (PNA), students can feel isolated and disconnected to their school and their community. “Start With Hello Week” gives students and staff the ability to connect with each other and help grow our school community.
The district continues to focus on mental health awareness and this initiative is just one of many held throughout the school year.
Start with Hello Week Schedule:
- Monday, Jan. 7: ‘Hello Day’- Student receive nametags and are encouraged to say hello to someone they don’t know
- Tuesday, Jan. 8: ‘Reach out and Connect Day’ -Human Scavenger Hunt and Human Bingo
- Wednesday, Jan. 9: ‘Mix it up Lunch’- sit with someone you haven’t met at lunch
- Thursday, Jan. 10: Wear Green Day, Learn to say hello in a different language.
- Friday, Jan. 11: ‘Compliment Day’- give compliments to others