This session includes course offerings from January through May. Enrollment is open to all on a first-come, first-served basis. You do not have to be a resident of our school district to participate in this program. Fees vary from class to class.
Click on the course name to view details or scroll down for the full program.
- Aerobic Dance Fitness
- Bus Trip – NYC Day Trip
- Cell Phone… What it can do for you!
- College Application – Success without the Stress
- Community Chorus
- Defensive Driving
- Downsizing – Are you Ready?
- Driving – 5-Hour Pre-licensing Course
- Estate Planning – An Attorney’s Perspective
- Hindi – Learn to speak, read and write
- Learn to Swim: ARC levels parent-tot –Levels 5/6
- Photography Basics
- Retirement Today
- SAT Review and Prep – English
- SAT Review and Prep – Math
- STUFF! How to get rid of your STUFF
- Tai–Chi, 16-Position Sun Style
- Telegu – Language and Culture for Children (ages 6 & up)
- Volleyball Co-Ed (Intermediate Level )
- Watercolor Techniques
AEROBIC DANCE FITNESS
- Instructor: Carol Baldwin
- Craig Elementary School-gym Sess 1 Fee: $90 Seniors: $80 Mondays & Wednesdays 6:00 -7 p.m. Sess 2 Fee: $50 Seniors: $40
- Session I: January 13, 15, no class 20th, 22, 27, 29, February 3, 5, 10, 12, no 17th, no 19th, February 24, 26, March 2, 4, 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 25, 30, April 1, 6, 8
- Session II: April 20, 22, 27, 29, May 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20.
Register for either Session I or Session II or both. This is a progressive, safe, and effective course that is choreographed for those who want to work on their activity level, fitness and energy. This Get-It-All-Together approach to fitness monitors heart rates, uses muscle toning and strengthening techniques, increases flexibility and balance, and is a great cardiovascular workout! Sway, swing, and stretch yourself into total body fitness while enjoying music from the top 100, adult contemporary, Latin, rock, hip hop, country, and more! Hand and ankle weights are optional. Carol is a retired Niskayuna PE teacher with over 30 years of commitment to health and wellness for adults and youth
BUS TRIP –NYC Day Trip
- Contractor: Wade Tours
- NHS Front Parking Lot, Balltown Rd.
- Fee: $45 per person
- Saturday April 25, 7:30 a.m.
This a SELF-GUIDED* round trip bus trip via chartered coach to NYC. The bus will leave the NHS parking lot no later than 7:30 a.m. or as soon as all registrants are present. Drop-off location in the City is Bryant Park, approximately 11 a.m. Bus leaves Bryant Park at 6:30 p.m. for return to NHS around 10:30 pm. Travel times are approximate. We will make one 15 minute courtesy stop on the way down and back.
*Self-Guided: You are free to plan your own itinerary. Neither the tour company nor the District provides staff to direct or coordinate your day. Please allow ample time to return to the pickup location at Bryant Park to locate our bus, as it can be a bit hectic and confusing at departure time. The traveler is responsible for being at the assigned pick up location at Bryant Park at the designated time. Travelers who miss the departure are responsible for their own return transportation.
CELL PHONE . . . What it can do for you!
- Instructor: Shawna Dart
- NHS Rm C251 Fee: $30 per family (2)
- Either of two sessions 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Session I Monday January 27 and Thursday January 30 OR
- Session II Monday April 20 and Thursday April 23
It doesn’t matter if you are learning to use your first cell phone or if you are an experienced, but confused and frustrated cell phone user. There is no reason to get left behind or to not understand the language of the cell phone. This class will provide you with all the basics you need to be able to use your phone confidently and safely. By the end of the two night class, students will know how to: send and receive calls with and without speaker phone, create a contacts list and use it for calling; identify and use settings (like text size, sounds, screen brightness), explore and use utilities, and use basic texting. Depending on the interest and abilities of the students, the second night can include advanced safety techniques, using the internet, downloading applications (APPS), using your camera, and using EMOJI inserts for fun and description. The type of cell phone you have is not significant because we are covering general skills that can be applied to all phones. Bring your phone with you to class each night. If you want to learn email, be sure that you know your email address. There will be plenty of questions and answer time, and you can expect a fun homework assignment between classes. Your instructor, Shawna Dart, is a compassionate administrative professional and business entrepreneur experienced with multi-media use for business and fun.
COLLEGE APPLICATION- Success without the Stress
- Instructor: Kelly Linehan
- NHS Rm C248
- Fee: $15 per family
- Tuesday March 10 7:00 – 8:15 p.m
HS Juniors and Sophomores (and Freshmen too!): Get your college application process moving now so you can enjoy your senior year! The right steps and pacing make all the difference. In this one-session workshop we will work on detailed steps that students can take to immediately jump-start their college application process and become stronger candidates for acceptances and merit aid consideration. Students are encouraged to attend with their parent/guardian. The instructor is an Associate Member of IECA (Independent Educational Consultants Association) and a National Board Certified Teacher. Parents are encouraged to attend with their students!
- Coordinators: M.A.Gauger, C.Fisk
- VA Auditorium or Choir Room
- Fee: none
- Ongoing Thursdays Starts January 16 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
This Choral group consists of area residents, high school aged singers as well as adults, who love to sing and appreciate various types of music. You do not need to be a professional to participate but you do need to be serious and to appreciate all types of music. This group sings SATB (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) and performs locally several times a year. For more information email to
Carla_fisk @hotmail.com. Newcomers are welcome!
- Instructor: Bells Driving School
- NHS Rm C251
- Fee: $50 per student (all)
- Tuesday April 7 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
This is the instructional class approved by NYS Motor Vehicle for reducing insurance premiums and points reduction. New York drivers who take and complete a six hour defensive driving course may save 10% on all their vehicle liability, collision, and personal injury protection (PIP) insurance premiums for three years and may reduce up to four points on their driving record, every 18 months.
DOWNSIZING – Are you ready?
- Instructor: Neil Binderglass
- NHS Rm C 251
- Fee: $10 per person or $15 per family
- Tuesday April 21 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
According to AARP, one American turns 50 every eight seconds! During this time, more than 10,000 people begin to think about downsizing or relocating, either by choice or because of other factors. This class provides an overview of how to put this daunting task into perspective. Topics will include how to break the process into manageable pieces, steps to downsizing, and how to identify and dispose of unneeded items. Other topics will include space planning for a new residence, questions to ask a mover, and whether hiring a Move Manager is right for you. Our instructor, a former professional archivist with the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, created his current business, Saratoga Senior Homes specifically for the purpose of seniors and their families to examine the process of relocating and helping them to get it done. ***people who register for this class may be interested it takings its sister course, STUFF! (see page 7 ).
DRIVING – 5hr. Pre-licensing Ccourse
- Instructor: Bell’s Driving School
- NHS Rm C238 Fee: $50 per student (all)
- Saturday, March 7, 9 a.m. – 2.p.m.This is the Pre-licensing Course, also known as “the 5-hour course,” a DMV-designed classroom course that provides new drivers with information to help them drive safely. New drivers must complete this course (or a New York State approved Driver Education Course) before they can schedule their driving test for their driver license. For many students, this course is the only formal opportunity to learn the basic rules of the road, safe driving principles, defensive driving skills, and other factors which affect driving. Instruction is provided by NYS DMV certified instructors.
ESTATE PLANNING – An Attorney’s Perspective
- Instructor: Richard Fuerst
- NHS Rm C257
- Fee: $10 individual or family
- Thursday, March 12 6:30 – 9 p.m.
Take the mystery out of estate planning! Please join Richard A. Fuerst in this inter-active workshop designed to clarify important estate planning strategies. Richard will sensitively consider all your estate planning needs including wills, health care proxies, power of attorneys, and trusts. The latest legal and government changes for nursing home and Medicaid considerations as well as avenues open to reduce wealth transfer taxation are explained in simple terms. Richard is an experienced workshop facilitator and founder/principal partner of R.A. Fuerst Law Group, P.C.
HINDI- Learn to speak, read and write
- Instructor(s): Singh and Misra
- NHS Rm C 257
- Fee: $10 per person
- Saturdays 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- January 25, February 1, 8, 15, no 22nd, 29 March 7, 14, 21, 28, April 4, no 11th, no 18th, April 25, May 2, May 9
Nearly 425 million people speak Hindi, the official spoken language of India . Members of NIHAA (Northern Indian Hindu Association of Albany) invite all youth and adults in the general Niskayuna community to join them for casual but structured instruction on Saturday mornings. Participants will be introduced to basic greetings, grammar, and vocabulary with the goal of being able to read, write, and speak the language. Different levels of instruction will be provided to accommodate the beginner and intermediate student. An advanced class may be provided if needed. Most materials are provided. However, students are asked to bring a notebook, or binder, and a pen or pencil.
LEARN TO SWIM : ARC levels parent-tot –Levels5/6
- Instructor: varies, Certified ARC
- NHS Pool – Balltown Rd.
- Fee: Fees vary *see below
- Sunday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- February 2, 9, no 16th, 23, March I, 8, 15, 22, 29
The American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim program provides instruction to help swimmers of all ages and abilities develop their swimming and water safety skills. It is designed to give students a positive learning experience. Learn-to-Swim teaches aquatic and safety skills in a logical progression. Participants progress from one level to the next based on successful demonstration of the skills and knowledge of each level. Before completing your registration, review the guidelines at the Red Cross Website and then select the most appropriate level. Instructors screen the first day of classes to ensure that participants are in the appropriate level. If not, they are given the opportunity to move to the correct level and if unable to do so, a full refund is provided.
- Parent/tot Class 10:00-10:30 a.m.
- Preschool 1 & 2 10:30-11:00 a.m.
- Preschool 3 11:00-11:30 a.m. Level 4 1:00-1:30 p.m.
- Level 2 12:00-12:30 p.m.
- Level 1 11:30-12:00 p.m. Level 5/6 1:30-2:00 p.m.
- Level 3 12:30-1:00 p.m.
*FEES: All ARC Levels: The cost for the full 8 sessions is $80 per student based on a group enrollment. Minimum for group lessons is 3 registrants. Fees are not prorated based on attendance or date of enrollment. Families enrolling more than 2 students are allowed a discount. Please contact the Continuing Education office at 518-377-4666 ext. 50731 for specific information about discounts.
*FEES: Individual/shared lessons: A limited number of individualized lessons for adults and youth are offered based on the discretion of the instructors and the availability of the pool. These sessions are mostly likely to be offered on weekday evenings or Saturday afternoons. For individual lessons (all ages) the fee is $35 per person per half hour, minimum of four sessions. Fees are not prorated based on attendance. Additional sessions may be added as determined by agreement with the instructor. To request and register for individual lessons, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Instructor: Shawna Dart
- NHS Rm F128
- Fee: $30 per person (Seniors: $25)
- Tuesday February 4 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Want to have some fun with that new camera? Learn how to use any digital camera: DSLR, point and shoot, or your phone. Certain principles are universal in photography, from understanding focus, foreground, background, color, and space to something as simple as knowing when and how to turn off the automatic flash, or understanding when and how to use the zoom function. These can make or break your final photos. The Instructor, Shawna Dart, is a studied and accomplished photographer of her own right, and has worked as an assistant in various capacities for local and regional professionals. She will assist you with your basic settings in your camera and explain the various uses and the type of photo they will produce. There will be in house photo props to use as you practice with these various settings. Be sure your camera is ready to go (fresh batteries and memory card!). It is time to capture the memories that you want.
- Instructor: Steve Shipsley
- NHS C244 6:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- Fee: $15 per family (2)
- Either Session I or Session II
- Session I Thursdays January 30 and February 6 or Session II Mondays February 3 and 10
This two part course is designed to get you prepared for retirement. Income sources, investing, taxes and estate planning are all components of retirement that will be discussed. We will also discuss the holistic side of retirement which blends life planning with financial education. Align your money with your values by setting and achieving retirement lifestyle goals. There will be handouts for take home and plenty of time for questions and answers. Couples are encouraged to attend. Our instructor is President of Champlain Wealth Management, Ltd in Malta and has presented numerous seminars for businesses, school districts, and other community groups.
SAT REVIEW AND PREP- ENGLISH
- Instructor: Katie McCarty
- NHS Rm D107 6:00 – 7:30 pm
- Fee: $85 per studen
- Five Thursdays – January 23, 30, February 6, 13, no 20th, 27th
This subject-specific course is designed as a series of workshops to help students gain confidence in their knowledge and ability to succeed with the new SAT exams. Classes included a general review for content, practice with specific areas, and strategies for taking the exam. There will be an emphasis on essay writing and passage-based readings. Our instructor is currently an English 10,11, and 12 grade level teacher at Niskayuna High School. Students will need to independently purchase the Official SAT Study Guide 2020 Edition Study Guide Edition.(consult with teacher if in doubt).
SAT REVIEW AND PREP – MATH
- Instructor: Shana DeRocco
- NHS Rm D 107 6 – 7:30 p.m.
- Fee: $85 per student
- Tuesday January 21 and then Mondays – January 21, January 27, February 3, 10, no 17th, February 24
This subject-specific course is designed as a series of workshops to help students gain confidence in their knowledge and ability to succeed with the new SAT exams. Classes included a general review for content, practice with specific areas, and strategies for taking the exam. Shana DeRocco is a National Board Certified teacher (AYA –Math) at Niskayuna High School with multiple years of experience presenting this workshop. Students will need to independently purchase the Official SAT Study Guide 2020 Edition Study Guide Edition. (consult with teacher if in doubt) .
STUFF! How to get rid of your STUFF
- Instructor: Neil Bendelglass
- NHS Rm C 251
- Fee: $10 person $15 per family
- Tuesday April 28 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.This is a good companion course to “Downsizing”. If you or a family member is considering the possibility of downsizing or moving to another home, for whatever reason, the specifics included in this course should be of interest to you. This is a course that will explain how to dispose of items that you don’t want or need to take with you when you make the change. Topics include the do’s and don’ts of using private businesses and internet media such as Craig’s List, Ebay, local and area estate sales, and how and where to donate or repurpose goods ( and their possible tax benefits) Lots of time for questions and answers. This class is presented by staff from Saratoga Senior Move Managers. Learn more about them at https:/ssmovemanagers.com.
Tai–Chi, 16 –Position Sun Style
- Instructor: Eleanor Murphy
- Hillside Elementary School – Cafe
- Fee: $50 per person
- Wednesdays 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- February 26, March 4, 11, 18, 25, April 1
- Max class size- 20 registrants
The health, physical, and mental benefits of practicing Tai Chi have been well established for thousands of years. This is a beginner-level course for those interested in exploring and learning about the benefits of 16-position Sun style Tai-Chi, known for its smooth flowing movements, gentle postures, and high stances. Emphasis will be on the principles and keys to Tai Chi as well as relaxation and meditation. Class size is limited to 20 registrants to allow for individual attention, questions, and answers. Our instructor, Eleanor Murphy received her lifetime certification for Tai Chi and Qi Gong in January 2019. She studied under Jianye Jiang, Grandmaster Chinese Wushu, ( Tai Chi, Qi Gong and Kung Fu) and President, Health Preservation Association. She loves what she does and is excited to share it with new students. Although this course is designed for the beginner level student, those who would like a refresher will also benefit.
TELEGU – Language and Culture for Children ( ages 6 & up)
- Instructor: Telegu Baldi Team
- NHS Rm C251/253/257
- Fee: $60 per term
- Fridays 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- January 10 and ongoing through May 8, with no classes February 21, April 10 or 17
Explore the culture and one of the languages of a fascinating country – India. Through interactive hands-on learning, children will develop reading, writing, and speaking skills in Telugu language. To register and for more information, contact the Continuing Education office email@example.com or 518-377-4666 ext 50731 or contact Telugu_Baldi @yahoo.com.
VOLLEYBALL-CO-ED (Intermediate Level )
- Instructor: Jackie Fiore
- Van Antwerp Middle School Gym
- Fee: $60 per person
- Mondays 7 – 9 p.m.
- January 27, February 2, 10, no 17th, February 24, March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, April 6
This class is a combination of instruction, skills practice, drills and play in a fun and moderately competitive environment. Participants are expected to have a mastery of basic volleyball skills and hands-on knowledge of offensive and defensive strategies using designated hitters, setters, blockers, etc. Play will be conducted in accordance with USVBA rules and regulations. This class is not for beginners. Players must appreciate the mixed level of skill and adjust the intensity of play accordingly.
- Instructor: Karen Cooper
- NHS Rm F123
- Fee: $45 all (plus $10)*
- Mondays, April 20, 27 6:30 – 9 pmThis is a no pressure workshop presented by one of the area’s finest watercolor artists. This is most definitely a “hands-on class” and great for either the beginner or the more experienced student who wants to refresh or to improve. Focus of the first class will be brush strokes, design, mixing color, handling edges, and layering glazes with watercolor. The second night will including painting two small watercolors. Cooper has been painting with watercolor for over three decades and is a long time member of Oakroom Artists, the only membership-by-invitation art association in the Albany area. Karen’s watercolors have been included in group, one-person shows, and major regional and national exhibitions. The prestigious Salmagundi Club in New York City, museums, colleges, universities, galleries in Maine and New York, theaters, and various art centers also have exhibited her work. She loves teaching and it shows. * materials fee paid directly to instructor the first night of class.
- Instructor: Laron Hyde
- Glencliff Elementary School Café
- Fee: $95 Seniors: $85
- Mondays 6:45 – 7:45 p.m
- January 27, February 3, 10, no 17th, 24, March 2, 9, 16, 23,30, April 6, no 13th, 20, 27, May 4, 11
Zumba fitness combines Latin inspired international music with choreographed dance moves using a combination of faster and slower rhythms. Time magazine has referred to Zumba as “a workout in disguise” appealing to many ages and fitness levels. Our Instructor, Laron Hyde, will take you through the sessions with great enthusiasm and a focus on your individual needs. Lora has been a ZIN member since 2010 and certified to teach several types of Zumba. In addition to being a fitness enthusiast, she is a Registered Dietician practicing in Glenville and brings added insights into the program. She loves making every class “feel like a party”! Wear sneakers and bring a water bottle!