Enrollment is open to all on a first-come, first-served basis. You do not have to be a resident of our school district to participate in this program. Fees vary from class to class.
Fall/Interim 2019 Courses
Click on the course name to view details or scroll down for the full program.
- AEROBIC DANCE FITNESS
- BUS TRIP – NYC Day Trip
- COLLEGE APPLICATION- Success without the Stress
- COMMUNITY CHORUS
- DRIVING – 5hr. Pre-licensing course
- ESTATE PLANNING – An Attorney’s Perspective
- HINDI- Learn to speak, read and write
- LEARN TO SWIM
- LEARN TO SWIM : PRIVATE OR GROUP INSTRUCTION
- OIL PAINT WITH PEGGY
- SAT REVIEW AND PREP- MATH
- TELEGU – Language and Culture for Children
- VOLLEYBALL-CO-ED (Intermediate Level )
- WATERCOLOR TECHNIQUES
AEROBIC DANCE FITNESS
- Instructor: Carol Baldwin
- Craig Elementary School-gym
- Mondays & Wednesdays 6-7 p.m.
- October 2, 7, 9, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30, November 4, 6, 11, 18, 20, 25, December 2, 4. 9, 11, 16, 18
- Fee: $90 Seniors: $80
This is a progressive, safe, and effective course that is choreographed for those who want to work on their activity level, fitness and energy. This Get-It-All-Together approach to fitness monitors heart rates, uses muscle toning and strengthening techniques, increases flexibility and balance, and is a great cardiovascular workout! Sway, swing, and stretch yourself into total body fitness while enjoying music from the top 100, adult contemporary, Latin, rock, hip hop, country, and more! Hand and ankle weights are optional. Carol is a retired Niskayuna PE teacher with over 30 years of commitment to health and wellness for adults and youth.
BUS TRIP – NYC Day Trip
- Contractor: Wade Tours
- NHS Front Parking Lot
- Saturday December 14 7:30 a.m.
- Fee: $38, all ages
This a SELF-GUIDED* round trip bus trip via chartered coach to NYC. The bus will leave the NHS parking lot no later than 7:30 a.m. or as soon as all registrants are present. Drop-off location in the City is Bryant Park, approximately 11 a.m. Bus leaves Bryant Park at 6:30 p.m. for return to NHS around 10:30 pm. Travel times are approximate. We will make one 15minute courtesy stop on the way down and back.
*Self-Guided: You are free to plan your own itinerary. Neither the tour company nor the District provides staff to direct or coordinate your day. Please allow ample time to return to the pickup location at Bryant Park to locate our bus. It can be a bit hectic and confusing at departure time. The traveler is responsible for being at the assigned pick up location at Bryant Park at the designated time. Travelers who miss the departure are responsible for their own return transportation.
COLLEGE APPLICATION – Success without the Stress
- Instructor: Kelly Linehan
- Niskayuna High School C248
- Monday November 4 7-8:15 p.m.
- Fee: $15 per family
HS Juniors and Sophomores (and Freshmen too!): Get your college application process moving now so you can enjoy your senior year! The right steps and pacing make all the difference. In this one-session workshop we will work on detailed steps that students can take to immediately jump-start their college application process and become stronger candidates for acceptances and merit aid consideration. Students are encouraged to attend with their parent/guardian. The instructor is an Associate Member of IECA (Independent Educational Consultants Association) and a National Board Certified Teacher.
- Coordinators: M.A.Gauger, C.Fisk
- VA Auditorium or Choir Room
- Ongoing Thursdays ( in process) 7-8:30 p.m.
- Fee: none
This Choral group consists of area residents, high school aged singers and adults, who love to sing and appreciate various types of music. You do not need to be a professional to participate but you do need to be serious and to appreciate all types of music. This group sings SATB (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass). and performs locally several times a year. For more information contact Carla_fisk @hotmail.com. Newcomers are welcome!
DRIVING – 5-hour Pre-licensing Course
- Instructor: Bell’s Driving School
- NHS Rm. C 248
- Saturday, November 9, 9 a.m.-2.p.m.
- Fee: $50
- This is the Pre-licensing Course, also known as “the 5-hour course,” a DMV-designed classroom course that provides new drivers with information to help them drive safely. New drivers must complete this course (or a New York State approved Driver Education Course) before they can schedule their driving test for their driver license. For many students, this course is the only formal opportunity to learn the basic rules of the road, safe driving principles, defensive driving skills, and other factors which affect driving. Instruction is provided by NYS DMV certified instructors.
ESTATE PLANNING – An Attorney’s Perspective
- Instructor: Richard Fuerst
- NHS Rm. C257
- Thursday, November 7, 6:30-9 p.m.
- Fee: $10 individual or family
Take the mystery out of estate planning! Please join Richard A. Fuerst in this inter-active workshop designed to clarify important estate planning strategies. Richard will sensitively consider all your estate planning needs including wills, health care proxies, power of attorneys, and trusts. The latest legal and government changes for nursing home and Medicaid considerations as well as avenues open to reduce wealth transfer taxation are explained in simple terms. Richard is an experienced workshop facilitator and owner of R.A. Fuerst Law Group, P.C.
HINDI – Learn to speak, read and write
- Instructor(s): Singh and Misra
- NHS Rm C 257
- Saturdays 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. , October 12, 19, 26, November 9, 16, 23, December 7, 14
- Fee: TBD
Nearly 425 million people speak Hindi, the official spoken language of India . Members of NHAA( Northern Indian Association of Albany) invite all youth and adults in the general Niskayuna community to join them for casual but structured instruction on Saturday mornings. Participants will be introduced to basic greetings, grammar, vocabulary with the goal of being able to read, write, and speak the language. Different levels of instruction will be provided to accommodate the beginner and intermediate student. An advanced class may be provided if needed. Most materials are provided. However, students are asked to bring a notebook, or binder, and a pen or pencil.
LEARN TO SWIM : ARC Levels Parent-Tot – Levels5/6
- Instructor: varies, Certified ARC
- NHS Pool – Balltown Rd. 7
- Sundays 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- October 20, 27, November 3, (no Nov 10), resume November 17, 24, December 1, 8
- Fee: $60 ($45 for additional family members taking LTS group lessons)
The American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim program provides instruction to help swimmers of all ages and abilities develop their swimming and water safety skills. It is designed to give students a positive learning experience. Learn-to-Swim teaches aquatic and safety skills in a logical progression. Participants progress from one level to the next based on successful demonstration of the skills and knowledge of each level. Before completing your registration, review the guidelines at the Red Cross Website and then select the most appropriate level. Instructors screen the first day of classes to ensure that participants are in the appropriate level. If not, they are given the opportunity to move to the correct level and if unable to do so, a full refund is provided.
- Parent/Child Class 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 am.
- Preschool 1 & 2 10:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Preschool 3 11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Level 1 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Level 2 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Level 3 12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Level 4 1:00 — 1:30 p.m.
- Level 5/6 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
LEARN TO SWIM : PRIVATE OR GROUP INSTRUCTION
- Instructor: Varies
- 7 Sundays between 10 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. by arrangement with Instructors
- Fee: $30 per half hour per person
A limited number of half hour private or group lessons will be offered. Classes will follow the Red Cross guidelines and be tailored to fit the needs of individuals. Siblings taking lessons together will be given a discount. Students must sign up and pre-pay for the entire session. Register through Continuing Education to be referred for private lessons.
OIL PAINT WITH PEGGY: Winter Peace
- Instructor: Peggy Porter
- Niskayuna High School F123
- Wednesday, November 13 6-9:30 p.m.
- Fee: $25 plus
- Materials Fee: $25 to be collected in class
Have you ever wanted to try oil painting? Are you afraid you can’t paint because you can’t draw? Welcome to “Paint with Peggy”! Peggy is a certified Alexander Art Instructor and Wilson Bickford Painting Partner. Each evening the student creates a complete oil painting. This class does not require drawing skills! At the beginning of class, every student is provided with a blank canvas, brushes, palette of paints, etc. Then, through classroom instruction, each person creates their own, unique oil painting. This is NOT paint-by-number. Any level of painter will enjoy the classes.
SAT REVIEW AND PREP – MATH
- Instructor: Shana DeRocco
- NHS Rm F309
- Five sessions: October 7, 16, 21, 23, 28 6-7:30pm
- Fee: $85
This subject-specific course is designed as a series of workshops to help students gain confidence in their knowledge and ability to succeed with the new SAT exams. Classes included a general review for content, practice with specific areas, and strategies to taking the exam. Shana DeRocco is a National Board Certified teacher (AYA –Math) at Niskayuna High School with multiple years experience presenting this workshop.
TELEGU – Language and Culture for Children
- N H S Rm C251/253/257
- Fridays – in process and ongoing 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Instructor: Telugu Badi Team
- Ages: 6 and up
- Fee: $60 per term
Explore the culture and one of the languages of a fascinating country — India. Through interactive hands-on learning, children will develop reading, writing, and speaking skills in Telugu language. To register and for more information, contact the Continuing Education office firstname.lastname@example.org or 518-377-4666 ext 50731 or contact Telugu_Badi @yahoo.com.
VOLLEYBALL-CO-ED (Intermediate Level ) Instructor: Jackie Fiore
- Van Antwerp Middle School Gym
- Nine Mondays 7-9 p.m.
- October 7, 21, 28 November 4, 18, 25, December 2, 9, 16
- Fee: $45
This class is a combination of instruction, skills practice, drills and play in a fun and moderately competitive environment. Participants are expected to have a mastery of basic volleyball skills and hands-on knowledge of offensive and defensive strategies using designated hitters, setters, blockers, etc. Play will be conducted in accordance with USVBA rules and regulations. This class is not for beginners. Players are expected to appreciate the mixed level of skill and age groups in this class.
- Instructor: Karen Cooper
- NHS Rm F123
- Monday, November 18 and Wednesday Nov 20 6:30-9 p.m.
- Fee: $40 Ages 10 to adult Seniors: $30
This is a no pressure workshop presented by one of the area’s finest watercolor artists. This is most definitely a “hands-on class.” You will explore process, design, color mixing, and painting techniques. If you have never painted before or if you just want a review, this class will inspire you. Ages ten and up. Cooper has been painting with watercolor for over three decades and is a long time member of Oakroom Artists, the only membership-by-invitation art association in the Albany area. Karen’s watercolors have been included in group, one-person shows, and major regional and national exhibitions. The prestigious Salmagundi Club in New York City, museums, colleges, universities, galleries in Maine and New York, theaters, and various art centers also have exhibited her work. She loves teaching and it shows.