Governor’s Decision Expected this Week
Governor Andrew Cuomo has said that he will be making a decision this week about whether schools will be able to open for in-person learning in September. We will provide you with an update as soon as possible after the Governor’s decision. The reopening plan that we shared with you and submitted to the state last week outlines our tentative plans for in-person and remote instruction.
Opting for All-Remote Instruction
As noted in our plan, if the Governor decides that in-person instruction can take place, families will be able to opt for an all-remote format for their child(ren). In order to help us plan, we will need to know who is opting for all-remote learning soon. We also recognize that families are looking for more information about the all-remote experience. Please note:
- We will provide as much detail as possible about the optional all-remote learning program within the next week.
- We will be reaching out directly to those who indicated on Returning Student Registration that they would not be sending their child(ren) to school to confirm this choice.
- All others who plan to start the year in an all-remote format will need to e-mail Christine Perrella (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of Instruction by close of business on Monday, August 25.
- Families who choose the all-remote option and would like to switch to the in-person format (if allowed) will be able to do so at the 10-week point provided they notify the Office of Instruction by the fifth week. (We will follow-up with these dates.).
If the Governor decides that in-person instruction can take place, we will also need to know soon which families will not be using district transportation. Please note:
- We will be reaching out directly to those who indicated on Returning Student Registration that they will not be taking the school bus at all this year to confirm this choice.
- All others who plan to opt out of transportation should e-mail Director of Transportation Mary Mabb (email@example.com) by close of business on Monday, August 17. Please indicate the full name, school and grade of any children who will not be using district transportation.
Coming Next Week: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We have been going through the questions asked at last week’s reopening virtual town hall and those submitted to our reopening e-mail address. We thank everyone for asking questions and providing input. Please look for an initial FAQ next week, following the Governor’s anticipated decision. We will continue to update FAQs as we move forward. If you have a question, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Note: An Invitation to our Capital Project Community Cafes
The Capital Project Community Cafes that we announced last month continue tonight and next week. Please join us as we provide an update and gather input from parents and families, teachers, staff and students to help shape a master plan for district facilities. We have some concepts to share at these cafes and hope you can make it!
More Information & to RSVP for the Cafes: https://www.niskayunaschools.org/please-join-us-capital-project-community-cafes-in-august-2/