Niskayuna International scholars program
Why should you consider hosting a student from another country?
Here are a few reasons to consider:
- You can enrich your life through first-hand knowledge of another
culture and language.
- You can start a life-long friendship with someone from another
- You can broaden your cultural horizons and gain an international
- You can share your life with a deserving student from another
country of the world.
- You can engage in an activity that will enhance your education and
- You can have an unforgettable experience!
At Niskayuna, we have two types of exchange students:
- Cultural exchange students. These students come to
the U.S. on a J-1 visa through a sponsoring organization. They are here
to experience American culture and improve their English. We have had
J-1 students at Niskayuna for over fifty years. Hosting a cultural
exchange student is a voluntary activity.
- International students. These students apply to
attend Niskayuna High School for a year as part of their formal
education, and our district accepts them based on their academic record.
International students pay tuition and come to the U.S. on an F-1 visa
given to qualified students. These students pay a fee of $6000.00 to
their Niskayuna family to cover the expenses of hosting.
International students arrive in late August for orientation and remain
in our school until the end of the school year.
If your family is interested in learning more about hosting an
international student, please contact:
Mr. Edward Alston Sr.
Coordinator of International Scholars Program
Niskayuna High School
518-382-2511 ext. 21706 (w.)